To mark the start of the tourist season we have published a brand new Tourism Impact Bulletin highlighting the economic importance of tourism, as well as Fáilte Ireland’s priorities for growing tourism in 2017.
(View larger version by clicking the image above)
A few facts included in the bulletin that might be of interest to you include:
- Tourism is a €7bn industry with overseas tourists generating almost €5bn
- Every €1m of tourist expenditure helps to support 29 more jobs;
- Ireland welcomed 8.8m international tourists in 2016 – almost two (1.7) overseas tourists for every member of our population;
- Every 1,000 additional tourists support 14 jobs in the tourism sector.
We have also published our 2016 Fáilte Ireland Overseas Holidaymakers Attitudes Survey which confirms that overseas holidaymakers’ expectations were largely met or exceeded last year with value for money perceptions holding steady.
Some of the highlights from the research include:
- Overseas holidaymakers’ expectations were largely met or exceeded last year
- People, scenery and culture are important factors in delivering so many happy customers and generating growth.
- Holidaymakers continue to rate Ireland as good value for money with 61% of holidaymakers saying that they found ‘good’ or ‘very good’ value in Ireland – on a par with performance in 2015.
- Internet is crucial to destination choice and in-country activity